Saturday, April 6, 2013

On Homosexuality (part 2)


I'll go ahead and admit that my opinion has evolved over time.  Long ago I looked at the list of Bible verses given to me while also concluding that science tells us people are definitely born with a certain orientation, homo, bi, or hetero.  But it also seemed there is a long running theme through Scripture that condemned the behavior.  I suppose this all made sense by comparing homosexual orientation to alcoholism, abuse, OCD, soft spokeness, pride, or even walking pigeon toed.  Simply because God had born us with certain natures doesn't necessarily mean that we should be acting out on them, or so I thought at the time.
sinner...

So in my mind at the time I accepted that yes, God created our friends in the LGBT community as they are.  But I suppose I also expected us to attempt to overcome any other sort of "sinful" nature we were born with.  This is sort of where I began my opinions on homosexuality.

As a sort of side note it really bothers me that we place people into bubbles and dare not try to even step into their world, or even look at it for that matter.  At the time I held these beliefs I counseled youth who struggled with their sexuality, how to talk about it with their family and friends, was this or that okay, what should they do, is God angry at them?  Something I look back on with great pride is every single one of those students, as far as I know, still retains a positive view of Jesus Christ and the church (in general) and has grown comfortable in their sexuality... well as much as the society around them allows them to feel.

I suppose many of us expect that if you send a gay boy to a youth pastor that thinks marriage equality is wrong that the first words out of said youth pastor's mouth when talking to the boy is, "Devil child!  You know God hates you."  Its as if we think conservatives have no tact.  Some, sad to report, actually do and know how to keep their opinion to themselves for the sake of greater goods like mental and spiritual health.

And some people I guess expect that our liberal youth pastors would parade our effeminate male youth and tough, short-haired female youth around like trophies.  I suppose we think that if a family that was conservative sent their child to the liberal youth pastor the first thing on the agenda would be a thorough brainwashing on progressive politics.  You know, some liberal youth pastors also know how to keep their opinions to themselves for the sake of someone's mental and spiritual health.

In any case, there's really no need to go line by line through verse and verse of the Bible that either condemns or supports homosexuality.  A thorough double dip (Google and Wikipedia) should take care of that.  Besides the debate of today is marriage equality a sort of separate point.

in this case George, a double dip is perfectly acceptable
It was a few years ago that someone I really admire, Bruce Reyes-Chow, wrote a truly fabulous piece about civil unions, the spirituality of marriage and what its like being an apparent agent of the state.  You can read it here.

First, on the separation of church and state is that I could even grant you that the founding fathers of the US didn't necessarily intend there to be a "wall" put up between them (although I humbly disagree).  Surely they could've never imagined the world we live in today where a church I worked at shared a small street with a Mormon Temple (not invented yet) and a Buddhist Temple (mostly unknown at the time).  But even if they didn't intend it, it doesn't matter, its a good idea!

Why would anyone want the government and church together?  Are you crazy?  Can you imagine the amount of lunacy and scandals that we'd have to deal with then?  Does the church really want to take responsibility for all the ridiculousness that comes out of Washington?  And to those of us who have had to deal with church or denominational politics, do we really think that these people are going to get anything positive done in Washington?

So yes, give me separation of church and state.  If the morality of America is in decline its not the fault of the government.  Its the church's fault for not discipling the people on its shores.  So next time someone complains to you about how America is headed to hell in a handbasket ask them when the last time they took a handbasket of something other than their mouth to someone in need.  :-)

But this all raises some implications about governments role in marriage.  Marriage is a holy act.  Its a sacrament in nearly every religion.  So why does the irreligious government feel the need to get involved?  I read one blogger put it quite well, "Why should I spend time in prayer and meditation over a service, spiritually counseling a couple on marriage, we worship through song and exchanging symbols of love, I pronounce them man and wife... but by the authority given of me by the state of so and so?"  Agreed!  I thought my church or religious body gave me that authority to perform religious acts not the state of wherever.

yes, this is an "agent of the state"
Of course we know it has to do with good policy making.  Tax incentives to married couples so more people will want to get married, then they'll be more likely to have children, then we'll have a larger workforce which means a larger economy... or so the thinking goes.

But here's the deal.  I'm a Christian before I'm an American.  So simply put I care about Jesus' teachings, the Biblical texts, and other spiritual acts acts such as prayer, mentorship, etc to guide my life.

To that end I agree with Bruce.  Government should simply get out of the marriage business.  Everyone gets a civil union including my wife and I.  Our friends, family, and faith community see us as married.  That's enough.  The state doesn't regulate Communion or Baptisms nor should it.  Then get out of this one also.  That's right Roger Waters, "another brick in the "wall!"

Realistically speaking, unless there is a Hail Mary by the Supreme Court that won't happen.  If it does it will take decades.  So in the meantime we're still left with considering fair and equal practices under the law and of course, "the pursuit of happiness."  For those reasons alone I feel as though its time for us to permit same-sex couples to wed. 

Dang you TJ and your "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness."  "Pursuit?"  Really?

There have been compelling religious and philosophical arguments made against it but in the end they all simply bump up against our greater conscience.  It oftentimes takes too great of mental gymnastics to make these points:

  • Its a threat to heterosexual marriage.
    • Am I going to suddenly want to leave my wife and find a man?  Is she going to leave for a better woman?
  • This would cause a cultural acceptability that forces schools and such to teach my children that it is an okay behavior.
    • And there aren't any current behaviors that our society pushes on children that we find disagreement with?
  • Its not natural since you cannot produce children.
    • Science and adoption has solved this.  Beyond that how many married couples, some not by choice, remain childless?  And singles?
  • Children need a male and female at home.
    • Yes, because with our divorce rate we have done so well at this.
  • Churches will be forced to marry against their will
    • To this day I have yet to meet anyone who had to marry anyone against their will.
    • To add, this is possibly the one thing that holds the most water... but not nearly enough.
Needless to say, any of these points can be argued in circles for days given the right group of stubborn nincompoops.  It is merely to point out that at that moment that the point is made that a rebuttal pops into focus within moments and little to no deep thought shows its inherent weakness.  We may "stand on principle" but we all have to accept that we can take a brief look at history and see lots of smart people standing on principles that became garbage.
So one day I hope to marry some of my LGBT friends.  I hope to, without fear of admonishment, offer them the same (or hopefully improved) marriage counseling we have others.  I hope to see our friends in the pews of our churches again worshipping without fear of consternation.  If we still believe them sinners then join the crowd.  There is a whole church of them surrounding you.

To tell you the truth there are 1000s of people who know more about the Bible and God than I do.  Some of them agree and some disagree with me.  That has never been a reason to not engage the debate.  Hopefully, prayerfully, we can all, in good conscience and humble hearts expect that the person in front of us, though disagreeing, does so understanding that they also don't have the answer to all of life's questions either.

Enter the cries, "Thank you!" and "Heretic!"  We love you all. 


Things I think about #2:  Why can't Apple, Google, and Microsoft just get along so
 everything will sync properly?

Smacking Cheesecake #4:  A restaurant that "runs out" of specials means one thing, the specials are the junk they're trying to get rid of before its so rank you can tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment